Mr. & Mrs. Smith co-founders, Tamara and James Lohan first came up with the idea for a carefully curated collection of hotels after their first international trip as a couple turned out to be quite disastrous. The experience led them to write down every single thing they would want from a hotel. Those notes quickly became their business plan. What originally started as a guidebook has now become Mr. & Mrs. Smith, a carefully curated collection of 1,000+ boutique and luxury hotels across the globe.
Mr. & Mrs. Smith quickly gained a cult following. The global travel club now caters to more than 1 million like-minded members in 100+ countries and counts tastemakers like Stella McCartney, Olivia Von Holle, and Dita Von Teese as fans. The company now offers Smith24, a 24-hour customer service and booking support line and launched a “Family Hub” to highlight child-friendly hotels.
Listen in as Tamara and Monica discuss the trajectory of Mr & Mrs Smith, how she manages a team located around the globe, how to best tap into influencer marketing and why you have to balance the human and digital aspects of customer service.
(And please be sure to leave me a Rating and Review!)
“Great businesses start small and come from ideas that can grow.” – Tamara Lohan
- What is the mission of Tamara’s business
- How Tamara got the idea for Mr. & Mrs. Smith
- When Tamara and her husband decided to quit their day jobs
- What she looks for in hotels
- When they started to go international
- How she came together to work with her husband on this project
- What is the size and layout of her team
- How Mr. & Mrs. Smith tapped into influencer marketing
- Why you have to balance the digital and human aspects of the business
- How to build a culture with a global team
- How people can use the Mr. & Mrs. Smith platform
- What challenges Tamara has faced
“At no point did we think this is not a great idea.” – Tamara Lohan
- Find great hotels and book your stay with Mr & Mrs Smith
- Connect with Tamara:
“It’s important that hotels make their customers feel good and sexy and special.” – Tamara Lohan